Saturday, April 26, 2008

MH = Malaysian Hospitality

I am home. Other than the horrible first night, the entire visit was not as disastrous as I thought it would be. I managed to settle as soon as I found these.. (typical, heheh..)



60 baht (like RM6.50) each!! A colleague took me to this market behind our office at Sathorn Road. This is where the locals shop so the prices can even be cheaper than Chathuchak. Unfortunately I only had 1 hour lunch so that was all I could grab.

I managed to catch up with some Malaysian expats there and asked them if they have 'settled in':

Me: So do you like living here?
Expat: Yeah, the service is great! After all these 'pampering', it will be difficult for us to re-adjust when we go back to Malaysia!
Me: What do you mean?
Expat: Valet parking is free here. They do free delivery for your shopping, at whatever time you wish too! And when we go restaurants, they even have these 'nannies' who will look after your babies.
Me: Wow.
Expat: Yeah!! I even feel much safer here compared to KL.
Me: Hmm.. What about work?
Expat: Thais are very protective of their people. They are very very nice people, well at least in front of you but god knows what kind of discussions they have about you behind your back. The management takes really good care of their employees there! (I have heard of the same comments from at least 5 different people who have extensive work experience with Thais). So, if you work with them just be careful to not cross the line coz like it or not, the bosses will still prefer their people :)

Anyway, here's my list of top 5 reasons why I like Bangkok:
#1 - Those RM6 belts and RM10 necklaces/rings, etc...
#2 - The mangoes!!!
#3 - Durian Chips
#4 - The markets
#5 - The vintage shops - I came across at least 3 shops selling vintage designer handbags. Unfortunately they are still expensive but at least this gives us wider options!

.. and here are top 5 reasons why it made me feel very thankful that I am Malaysian:
#1 - No creepy objects, well at least at common places..
#2 - Food, especially choices of halal food
#3 - I think their traffic jams are worse
#4 - Everyone speaks English
#5 - Cleaner

Hmm.. I could get into trouble for writing this could I? Well, there are pros and cons.. I am still Malaysian so what do you expect? :p

No comments: