Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Style & Grace 101

I left my phone cable in the office so sorry, no photos today! I christened my gladiator heels too so guess you'll have to wait til tomorrow.. :p

Anyway, since I will not be posting any pics today, let's just talk about hmm.. manners. Some people feel intimidated to walk into high-end stores, fine-dining restaurants.. for the fear of others looking down to (or at?) them. Well, it is not all about physical appearance. The moment you open your mouth, how you initiate and answer questions and how you behave will make a whole lot of difference.

I am sure you have come across some girls, mak datins, celebs who look extremely good and posh but by the time they open their mouth, hancus!! .. and, there are some people who actually look much simpler but the way they speak and carry themselves instantly put them above the rest. No need accents/slangs just put together the right words, voila!

#1 - When somebody asks you "How are you", instead of saying "I'm good", why not try "I am doing well, thanks. How about you?" Or, simpler version could be "I am fine, THANKS. How are you?"

#2 - Always add the word "Please" when you ask for something. Say you are in a Chanel boutique, you want to have a look at a bag. You can say "Can I have a look at that one, please..?"

#3 - Oh yeah, some mat sallehs made fun of me with these words: "Salmon" should actually be pronounced as "Sa(l)mon" - silent L. "Almond" should be "Ah-mond"

#4 - Always, always remember NOT to use slangs! They are NOT COOL, unless if you like to be associated with people from Queens or Brooklyn instead of Manhattan. Usage of the words like "ain't", "wassup", "how's it goin'", "yo!", "cool mannnn", etc... erkk.. oh yeah, DO NOT curse either!

#5 - Lastly, walk with confidence and when talking to people, look them in the eye. Establish eye contact. Practice those essential phrases in #1-#4 until you master a smooth accent and you will see the difference!

#6 - Oh yeah, one more thing. This is something I am trying really hard to get rid off, try not to have that nasal tone (it sounds annoying). Project your voice from your throat - ok, I do not know how to explain this in technical terms but I think you should know what I mean.

There you go, long lengthy post. It is written from personal experiences. Basic stuffs that people take for granted yet really effective in building your personality.

p/s: somebody is going to have a good laugh at this and probably thinking "look who's talking!" .. i have improved a lot ok!!

No comments: